Consultant Engineering Intern
St Louis, Missouri
At FM Global, we work with many of the world’s largest organizations to help protect their commercial and industrial property against threats. Our field engineers specialize in a wide range of disciplines, including electrical, mechanical, chemical, civil and industrial engineering, as well as fire protection.
What makes a successful Consultant Engineer at FM Global?
Check out the top traits we're looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Ensures Accountability
- Technical Knowledge
- Communicates Effectively
- Attention to Detail
- Problem Solving
I PLAY A PART IN BUILDING A BRIGHT FUTURE THAT CAN WEATHER ANY STORM.
Many times, the safety of entire communities is influenced by our work. On one project in Florida, I worked with a client to make sure a critical 911 communications facility would be operable during and after a Category 5 hurricane. Advising them on things like how to protect vital generator systems and helping them make costeffective design decisions, I had a hand in building something truly substantial. In the end, our client was happy to have a partner that understood and worked with them to meet their unique needs.Gabriel — Engineering Specialist — Employee Since 2007
Overview - External
FM Global is one of the world's largest commercial and industrial property insurance and risk management organizations specializing in property protection. More than one out of every three Fortune 1,000 companies, as well as leading international corporations, benefit from FMsuperior financial strength, policy coverage, risk management skills and extensive expertise in loss prevention engineering and research.
Ranked 447 on the FORTUNE 500 list of America’s largest companies, FM Global employs more than 5,400 employees worldwide, including 1,900 loss prevention engineers.
We will share FMnearly two centuries of knowledge and experience with you. We will provide you with opportunities to work hands on with some of the world’s most influential organizations, helping them understand risk and protect their assets. We will provide the resources for you to build a career with a Fortune 500 Company that puts employees first. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of exciting roles.
Consultant Engineer - Internship:
Are you interested in a career where you have the power to influence outcomes and make a difference in the future - yours, your clients’, and the company’s? When you join FM Global as an intern, youcanbring your engineering learning to life and learn how we help clients neutralize potential disaster—saving property, businesses, and lives!
If you enjoy variety, we will put your time‐management and organization skills to use through field visits, office work, and projects.
We will have you involved with special projects, job shadowing, and real work, both in the office and out in the field. We will help deepen your practical engineering knowledge and pave your road to success by taking an immersive journey into our business.
Explore our unique business model and key differentiators through training, research, and first-hand experience! Shadow employees in a range of departments, attend meetings, and experience being a part of the FM Global team. Gain exposure to our training program for consultant engineers, access on-demand learning sessions across a range of topics. Learn how to apply our loss prevention standards for FM Global clients. Join our engineers in the field and live a "day in the life" of a consultant engineer. Assist with special projects and see how engineering data is used throughout the company.
During the internship, you will be given assignments of limited scope and complexity giving you the opportunity to learn. The internship will provide the opportunity to:
- Participate in FM Global training to learn the fundamentals of building construction, occupancy, protection, and exposures (COPE) as it relates to risk assessment and risk mitigation.
- Learn the fundamentals of fire protection systems.
- Trail FM Global Field Engineers during their visits to commercial properties of varying complexity and learn how to perform “hands‐on” site assessments of the physical property, including roofs.
- Review mechanical and electrical equipment operation, installation, maintenance, and loss potential hazards.
- Make recommendations and/or engineering solutions to ensure client understanding and agreement for risk improvement.
- Document risk analysis of locations visited.
- Lead and deliver a technical project to be determined by FM Global Supervisors.
- Shadow professionals in various departments within FM Global to gain a holistic understanding of the company and engineering team.
- Participate in professional development events with other interns.
Successful Consultant Engineer Interns have the following qualifications:
- Plan to graduate with a bachelor's degree in engineering (civil, chemical, mechanical, industrial, electrical, etc.) or fire protection; able to demonstrate diverse knowledge of engineering
- Ability to work full time during summer internship and commute to assigned operation throughout
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle throughout
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; good analytical, organizational, problem solving, and interpersonal
- Efficient time management skills; naturally inquisitive and able to undertake and deliver
- Physical ability to climb commercial ladders (ex. inspect roofs), lift >25 lbs., and some clients require working in confined spaces.
- Proficient in MS Office products.
Please note that all FM Global visitors, including external candidates interviewing for open positions will be required to be vaccinated and should be prepared to provide proof of vaccination
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer