Consultant Engineering Intern
Walnut Creek, California
FM Global’ s internship and co-op program will be virtual until employees are authorized to return to the office. In 2020, we have learned a tremendous number of resources to help our interns and co-ops be successful working virtually. We will continue to offer professional development events for all interns and co-ops globally.
What makes a successful Consultant Engineer at FM Global?
Check out the top traits we're looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Ensures Accountability
- Technical Knowledge
- Communicates Effectively
- Attention to Detail
- Problem Solving
WHEN YOU'RE INVESTED IN SOLVING CHALLENGES, IT HELPS TO BE WITH A COMPANY THAT INVESTS IN YOUR SUCCESS.
My parents have always instilled in me the concept of working hard, having fun, thinking long term and planning for the future. FM Global is exciting, innovative and dynamic, and with so many professional opportunities here, it's also a company where you can spend your whole career and never get bored. I remember back during one of my initial interviews with FM Global, a manager shared that over 80% of the office staff had been with the company since they graduated college. That kind of longevity is one of the reasons I decided to work at FM Global. I'm proud to work for a company that invests in its employees and trains them to be the best. The willingness to learn is universal, the exposure to knowledge is infinite and the different career paths are endless. The opportunities to think long term don't get much broader.Kevin — Group Manager Account Engineering — Employee Since 2008
More information about this job:
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
Are you interested in a career where you have the power to influence outcomes and make a difference in the future - yours, your clients’, and the company’s? When you join FM Global as an intern, you can bring your engineering learning to life and learn how we help clients neutralize potential disaster such as fires, explosions, earthquakes, floods, and many others.
If you enjoy variety, we will put your time‐management and organization skills to use through field visits, office work, and projects. We will have you involved with special projects, job shadowing, and real work, both in the office and out in the field. We will help deepen your practical engineering knowledge and pave your road to success by taking an immersive journey into our business.
Explore our unique business model and key differentiators through training, research, and first-hand experience! Shadow employees in a range of departments, attend meetings, and experience being a part of the FM Global team. Gain exposure to our training program for consultant engineers, access on-demand learning sessions across a range of topics. Learn how to apply our loss prevention standards for FM Global clients. Join our engineers in the field and live a "day in the life" of a consultant engineer. Assist with special projects and see how engineering data is used throughout the company.
During the internship, you will be given assignments of limited scope and complexity giving you the opportunity to learn. The internship will provide the opportunity to:
- Participate in FM Global training to learn the fundamentals of building construction, occupancy, protection, and exposures (COPE) as it relates to risk assessment and risk mitigation.
- Learn the fundamentals of fire protection systems.
- Trail FM Global Field Engineers during their visits to commercial properties of varying complexity and learn how to perform “hands‐on” site assessments of the physical property, including roofs.
- Review mechanical and electrical equipment operation, installation, maintenance, and loss potential hazards.
- Make recommendations and/or engineering solutions to ensure client understanding and agreement for risk improvement.
- Document risk analysis of locations visited.
- Lead and deliver a technical project to be determined by FM Global Supervisors.
- Shadow professionals in various departments within FM Global to gain a holistic understanding of the company and engineering team.
- Participate in professional development events with other interns.
Successful Consultant Engineer Interns have the following qualifications:
- Plan to graduate with a bachelor's degree in engineering (civil, chemical, mechanical, industrial, electrical, etc.) or fire protection; able to demonstrate diverse knowledge of engineering principles;
- Ability to work full time during summer internship and commute to assigned operation throughout internship;
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle throughout internship;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; good analytical, organizational, problem solving, and interpersonal skills;
- Efficient time management skills; naturally inquisitive and able to undertake and deliver projects;
- Physical ability to climb commercial ladders (ex. inspect roofs), lift >25 lbs., and some clients require working in confined spaces.
- Proficient in MS Office products.
The hiring range for this position is $23.76 to $27.00 per hour. The final salary offer will vary based on geographic location, individual education, skills, and experience.
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce.