Operations Chief Engineer
Walnut Creek, California
At FM Global, we work with many of the world’s largest organizations to help protect their commercial and industrial property against threats. Our field engineers specialize in a wide range of disciplines, including electrical, mechanical, chemical, civil and industrial engineering, as well as fire protection.
What makes a successful Engineer at FM Global? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Attention to Detail
- Customer Focus
- Decisiveness & Judgment
- Flexibility & Achieving Change
- Gets Results
Hear what our employees have to say about working at FM Global
Sr. Consultant engineer
employee since 2007
I play a part in building a bright future that can weather any storm.
Many times, the safety of entire communities is influenced by our work. On one project in Florida, I worked with a client to make sure a critical 911 communications facility would be operable during and after a Category 5 hurricane. Advising them on things like how to protect vital generator systems and helping them make costeffective design decisions, I had a hand in building something truly substantial. In the end, our client was happy to have a partner that understood and worked with them to meet their unique needs.
See how FM Global and East Kentucky Power Cooperative partner to manage boiler and machinery risk.
FM Global Named One of America’s Best Employers by Forbes
Depending on your role, we offer a company vehicle to suit your traveling needs.
Your financial goals are important to us, so we offer retirement programs that reflect local policy and custom.
Your time at FM Global should be valuable and enriching, with plenty of opportunities for skills development and career growth.
Eligible employees participate in an incentive plan based on the company achieving its annual financial goals.
More information about this job:
As the Operations Chief Engineer (OCE) in San Francisco Operations, you are accountable for the consistent application of prudent engineering judgment within the operation, consistent with the risk accepted by the company and the intent of the engineering standards. This involves transactional support and oversight within the operation to continuously improve the quality of the engineering delivered to our clients. The OCE supports and promotes our technical leadership in loss prevention through the implementation of the corporately agreed engineering agenda both within and outside the company. You will work in the operation’s office and report directly to the Operations Engineering Manager. You will work collaboratively with the operations engineering management team and other key engineering individuals.
- Provide expert technical advice/assistance to the operation’s client service teams, engineers, and clients to support the FM Global value proposition resulting in risk improvement, profitability, increased market share and account retention.
- Be responsible for the overall application and understanding of engineering standards within the operation. Drive improvements to standards by collaborating with Engineering Standards, the Operation’s personnel, insured clients, equipment manufacturers and others.
- Resolve previously analyzed and reviewed technical disagreements (resolutions) in a fashion that provides documented confidence, learning opportunities and future guidance for all parties internal and external.
- Support the evaluation and development of operations personnel by providing input to operations management, particularly on technical competency issues and engineering results, to help drive continual improvement in the quality of engineering delivered to our clients.
- Identify gaps in our engineering quality by conducting trailing of field and account engineers, location audits, and account audits.
- Identify gaps in our engineering and/or understanding of the risk that evolve with changing client practices, loss trends and needs and communicate to Engineering Standards and operations management. Be a focal point within and outside FM Global for anticipating and reacting to emerging loss prevention technologies, trends, and threats.
- Address the local or regional technical challenges of the Operation and understand the influence of local codes and standards. Support FM Approvals by promoting the use and availability of FM Approved equipment in the Operation and overseeing the Operation’s use of the Equipment Failure reporting process.
- Contribute to the Company’s technical leadership in Loss Prevention by representing the technical position of the company to its clients and various “publics” and leveraging our research and testing capabilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering and minimum 10 years of FE/AE experience. Positive career experiences are: Account Engineer or GMFE; 5+ years experience as a High Hazards Specialist; professional engineering license; having attended the Advanced Fire Science Seminar; Operating Standards support teams; FE mentoring; providing operations or corporate training.
- Strong knowledge of a broad scope of hazards, including fire hazards, B&M, natural hazards, and high hazard industries.
- Excellent oral and written communication and teaching skills.
- Proven ability as a leader and in working effectively as a team member.
- Good time management and flexibility in dealing with dynamic priorities.
- Excellent analytical problem-solving skills and good judgment.
- A demonstrated history of decisiveness and leadership.
- No physical restrictions in performing normal field engineering actions.
- Demonstrated technology aptitude and proficient in the use of engineering software tools.
- Ability to travel regularly to a wide range of locations.