Plan Review Consultant I
Walnut Creek, California
At FM Global, we work with many of the world’s largest organizations to help protect their commercial and industrial property against threats. Our field engineers specialize in a wide range of disciplines, including electrical, mechanical, chemical, civil and industrial engineering, as well as fire protection.
What makes a successful Consultant Engineer at FM Global?
Check out the top traits we're looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Ensures Accountability
- Technical Knowledge
- Communicates Effectively
- Attention to Detail
- Problem Solving
I PLAY A PART IN BUILDING A BRIGHT FUTURE THAT CAN WEATHER ANY STORM.
Many times, the safety of entire communities is influenced by our work. On one project in Florida, I worked with a client to make sure a critical 911 communications facility would be operable during and after a Category 5 hurricane. Advising them on things like how to protect vital generator systems and helping them make costeffective design decisions, I had a hand in building something truly substantial. In the end, our client was happy to have a partner that understood and worked with them to meet their unique needs.Gabriel — Engineering Specialist — Employee Since 2007
Overview - External
Interested in being a Plan Review Consultant Engineer? Come join a global team dedicated to state- of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research to more than one-third of Fortune 1000 companies around the globe. We rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles to accomplish our objectives.
When you join our team as a Plan Review Consultant Engineer, you can leverage your engineering background to help clients neutralize potential disaster—this ranges from fires, floods, earthquakes, hurricanes, equipment breakdowns, and many other hazards present at our client’s locations.
With the company’s nearly two centuries of knowledge and experience behind you, you’ll work hands on with some of the world’s most influential organizations, helping them understand risk and mitigate exposures. You will also have the resources to build a rewarding career at FM Global.
If you enjoy variety, put your time-management and organizational skills to use reviewing documents and writing letters for a wide variety business. Apply if you enjoy working with people, are a self- starter, capable of working independently, and want an interesting and rewarding career.
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
The Plan Review Consultant will review construction, equipment, occupancy, and fire protection plans submitted by clients and contractors to determine if they are in accordance with FM Global Property Loss Prevention Data Sheets, identifying all deficiencies and reasonably foreseeable physical and human element exposures for facility hazards and natural hazard perils. Plan review results are provided to the client via a technical letter identifying if the best engineering solutions are being applied for risk improvement and new projects.
In addition, the Plan Review Consultant will review available client file material and previous correspondence. As well as communicate with project engineers, clients, and contractors to better understand the project and provide engineering feedback. The reviews are completed in a manner which provides the best service to clients by minimizing re-work and project delays.
Major accountabilities include:
- Conduct review of construction, equipment, and fire protection plans based on the engineering Operating Standards and Operating Requirements, identifying deficiencies and reasonably forseeable physical and human element exposures for fire, equipment and natural hazard perils. Correspondence and recommendations should be presented following established guidelines (procedural, technical, quality, timeliness).
- Comprehensively review and thoroughly understand the scope of the client’s construction, equipment, and/or risk improvement project under review in order to identify, prioritize, and pursue other review opportunities not initially presented by the client.
- Thoroughly review previous correspondence (reports, letters, e-mails, etc.) and as needed, communicate clearly and effectively with the Designated Service Provider, assigned project engineer(s), clients, and contractors to develop a comprehensive understanding of the project.
- Electronically review project and plan information, consult with contractors and clients to understand deficencies and influence changes, and obtain missing/corrected information to ensure timely completion of the reviews while providing the best service to clients by minimizing re-work and project delays.
- Identify new projects, as well as the need for further project activity (e.g., kick off meeting, project visits, conference calls, etc.), and discuss with the manager to determine viability, timing and how to proceed.
- Provide technical support for clients requests made to the office as ndicated by the manager.
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Applied Science or equivalent.
0-2 years experience in
- Reading/understanding technical, construction, equipment, and fire protection drawings and specifications
- Using CAD software and computer-based calculation tools; experience with building information modeling is a plus!
- Project and design experience desirable
- Fire protection or construction experience is desirable
- Excellent English written and oral communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical skills with sound foundation in engineering techniques and skills, logical application, and attention to detail
- Self-motivated, self-directed, and eager to learn
- Results driven
- Confident and deliberate problem-solver
- Great teammate
- Strong planning, organization, and time management skill
We offer our employees a wide range of benefits including career long learning opportunities, tuition reimbursement, 401 (k), pension, flexible schedules, rich health and well-being programs, generous time off allowances, volunteer days and so much more!
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing and retaining a diverse workforce.
Please note that all FM Global visitors, including external candidates interviewing for open positions will be required to be vaccinated and should be prepared to provide proof of vaccination