Senior Underwriting SpecialistUnderwriting/Reinsurance, Other Careers Job ID 2022-12305 Primary Location: Walnut Creek, California 09/23/2022
More information about this job:
This position has an advanced knowledge of the company’s underwriting requirements. Through advanced interpersonal skills and negotiation skills, provides underwriting technical expertise to the Account Manager and the Client Service Staff/Operations. Also provides expertise and training on routine procedural issues and new standards to facilitate understanding, implementation, and compliance.
- Develops and recommends underwriting solutions when confronted with complex and unusual risks or unacceptable exposures. Solutions may require a departure from current guidelines.
- Works with Account Managers to ensure policies, binders, endorsements, and other Underwriting documents are properly prepared and executed. This also includes the analysis and design of manuscript wording that meets the needs of the client and FM Global (uses knowledge of manuscript forms/clauses and market practice).
- Demonstrates an advanced understanding of the key elements of purchasing reinsurance, program structure, layering and pricing. Effectively uses FM Global’s capacity, including in-house reinsurance facilities, to maximize net and reduce reinsurance cost
- Provides technical underwriting consulting/mentoring to others to ensure consistently strong profits. Keeps current with market pricing and practices.
- Maintains an up-to-date knowledge of company underwriting standards, policy forms and coverages, and loss prevention practices. Introduces and provides training to ensure implementation and compliance. Maintains knowledge of current market conditions.
- Effectively uses interpersonal skills to influence others to help meet corporate objectives.
- Conducts regular operational underwriting audits that support Corporate and Operations objectives.
- Participates in special projects to facilitate and assure appropriate implementation of either corporate or operational initiatives, as assigned.
- Handles accounts and prospects as assigned.
- Effectively manages significant workload so that assistance/mentoring can be provided to others.
- Assists in the development and delivery of effective presentations to clients/brokers, management, and others, through analysis of audience, logical flow, and concise communication.
- Conducts policy reviews
- 4 Year College Degree/Bachelors
- Minimum 5 years of industry experience with at least 3 years as an Underwriter or equivalent position with FM Global.
- Strong technical underwriting knowledge, decision making and knowledge of internal IS systems.
- Advanced proficiencies of Business Communications, Exposure Analysis, Interpersonal Skills, Negotiations, Planning & Organizing, Policy Terms and Conditions, Profitability Analysis and Pricing, program Structure and Linesetting and Underwriting Guidelines.
We offer our employees a wide range of benefits including career long learning opportunities, tuition reimbursement, 401 (k), pension, flexible schedules, rich health and well-being programs, generous time off allowances, volunteer days and so much more!
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce.
Please note that all FM Global visitors, including external candidates interviewing for open positions will be required to be vaccinated and should be prepared to provide proof of vaccination.
BEING FM Global
Inclusion, Diversity & Equity
We’re creating a company-wide culture that recognizes how essential this work is to our overall success.
Learn More about Diversity and Inclusion
FM Global Learning
We’re building technical skills and leadership capabilities across the enterprise, with new solutions for learning.
Learn More about FM Global's Learning Center