FM Approvals Engineer Intern IUniversity, Engineering - Other Job ID 2022-12648 Primary Location: West Glocester, Rhode Island 01/20/2023
Overview - External
FM Approvals is an international leader in third-party product testing and certification services. We test property loss prevention products and services—for use in commercial and industrial facilities—to verify that they meet rigorous loss prevention standards of quality, technical integrity and performance. We employ a worldwide certification process that’s backed by scientific research and testing and 135 years of experience. The FM APPROVED mark is recognized and respected worldwide. Our certification instills confidence and commands respect in the marketplace.
At FM Approvals, we put products and materials to the test. The products we test and certify must perform in the real world when they are called upon to protect buildings and property from fire, wind, explosion, earthquake, pressurization, impact, flood and more. Come join the dynamic and diversly talented team of individuals who put products that are intended to prevent or mitigate property loss through robust testing and evaluations to determine if the products are tough enough to withstand the worst that Mother Nature and harsh and dangerous environments can throw at them. Learn the product testing and certification process from the ground up by performing hands-on testing in FM Approvals’ laboratories with seasoned testing and certification professionals. Discover the limits of what products can withstand and what happens when those products are pushed beyond those limits. If a product is going to fail, we want it to fail in our laboratory, not in the real world where there are no second chances. Last, but certainly not least, as an FM Approvals Certification Engineer Intern, you will enjoy the opportunity to earn while you learn!
Seldom are two days the same at our facilities but each day will be filled with:
- Preparing product samples to be put to the test.
- Fixturing and instrumenting product samples for a variety of testing from visual examination to long term testing to robust and energic evaluation.
- Conducting numerous detailed, scientifically based tests to determine where the product falls in the performance spectrum. Sometimes static testing, sometimes cycling thousands of times, sometimes facing the ultimate (and final) criteria that could end in catastrophic failure of the product.
- Performing post-test analysis of the product to determine what went right and what went wrong.
- Documenting and analyzing the results for use in the final product certification process.
- Successful completion of the first year of a 4-year engineering degree
- Civil, Electrical, Industrial & Systems, Mechanical or Structural Engineering preferred
- Ability to work in several laboratory environments which may include beach top testing, controlled smoke, fire, explosion and water spray testing.
- Basic engineering fundamentals
- Familiarity with various hand tools
- Familiarity with WORD and EXCEL
- Previous experience with scientific instrumentation and equipment preferred (but these skills can be taught or enhanced)
- Good oral communication
- Good written communication
- Attention to detail
- Basic analytical problem solving
- Intellectual curiosity
Please note that all FM Global visitors, including external candidates interviewing for open positions will be required to be vaccinated and should be prepared to provide proof of vaccination.
*FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer
BEING FM Global
Inclusion, Diversity & Equity
We’re creating a company-wide culture that recognizes how essential this work is to our overall success.
Learn More about Diversity and Inclusion
FM Global Learning
We’re building technical skills and leadership capabilities across the enterprise, with new solutions for learning.
Learn More about FM Global's Learning Center