FM Approvals Engineering Technician
West Glocester, Rhode Island
At FM Global, we work with many of the world’s largest organizations to help protect their commercial and industrial property against threats. Our field engineers specialize in a wide range of disciplines, including electrical, mechanical, chemical, civil and industrial engineering, as well as fire protection.
What makes a successful Consultant Engineer at FM Global?
Check out the top traits we're looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Ensures Accountability
- Technical Knowledge
- Communicates Effectively
- Attention to Detail
- Problem Solving
I PLAY A PART IN BUILDING A BRIGHT FUTURE THAT CAN WEATHER ANY STORM.
Many times, the safety of entire communities is influenced by our work. On one project in Florida, I worked with a client to make sure a critical 911 communications facility would be operable during and after a Category 5 hurricane. Advising them on things like how to protect vital generator systems and helping them make costeffective design decisions, I had a hand in building something truly substantial. In the end, our client was happy to have a partner that understood and worked with them to meet their unique needs.Gabriel — Engineering Specialist — Employee Since 2007
More information about this job:
FM Approvals is an international leader in third-party testing and certification services. We test property loss prevention products and services—for use in commercial and industrial facilities—to verify they meet rigorous loss prevention standards of quality, technical integrity and performance. How? By employing a worldwide certification process that’s backed by scientific research and testing, and over a century of experience.
The FM APPROVED mark is recognized and respected worldwide. Our certification instills confidence and commands respect in your marketplace.
Perform assigned tests, investigations, or experiments. This may require minor modifications in test setups or procedures as well as subjective judgments in measurement. Selects, sets up, and operates standard test equipment and records technically sound test data within budgetary and time constraints.
Fabricate and construct necessary testing apparatus from existing components. Set-up and tear-down operations for routine investigations and tests. Trouble-shoot all problems and take corrective actions.
Use specialized equipment and apparatus to collect data, calculate or record results, prepare reports and/or technical data. Prepare and present clear and concise data in a prescribed format.
Provide requested advice in areas of specialization to superiors and peers and technical directions to subordinates. Will be increasing levels of knowledge of testing procedures and related technological advances. This is to contribute to personal development and the achievement of personal and unit goals and objectives.
Keep the supervisor informed of the status and progress of all work in process and of any significant developments affecting assigned projects
Education: High School / Trade School or Military specialist experience.
Experience (Eng Tech): 3 years general mechanical or electrical experience and 1 year laboratory experience
Skills/Knowledge: Laboratory testing, product assembly, equipment repair, mathematical computation or data tabulation, use of laboratory test equipment and computer literacy.
- Good mechanical skills with familiarity of common hand tools and power tools, ability to work independently!
- Excellent communication and customer service skills (both orally and in writing) and the ability to work effectively as a member of a team are required.
- Ability to read, write and speak English proficiently. Ability to understand and follow English instructions
- Ability to push, pull, lift and carry up to 50 pounds (unassisted) on a regular basis; up to 75 pounds occasionally.
- Ability to walk, sit, stand and stoop comfortably to do the job.
- Vision: See in the normal visual range with or without correction; vision sufficient to read computer screens and printed documents and to operate equipment.
- Hearing: Hear in the normal audio range with or without correction
- Ability to safely and efficiently operate power equipment such as: cranes, fork lifts and other material handling devices, utilize ladders, operate tools such as, but not limited to, table saws, portable saws, hammer drills, screw guns and impact wrenches and be certifiable for the use of a respirator.
- Candidate must possess good balance to regularly step on and off equipment and work from ladders and platforms to perform various tasks.
- Must have good understanding from experience or training in root cause analysis providing ability to analyze facts and find problem solutions.
Work environment involves fire, smoke, heat and the use of adhesives and binders.
We offer our employees a wide range of benefits including career long learning opportunities, tuition reimbursement, 401 (k), pension, flexible schedules, rich health and well-being programs, generous time off allowances, volunteer days and so much more!
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing and retaining a diverse workforce.