Research Campus Engineering InternEngineering, University, Engineering - Other Job ID 2022-12521 Primary Location: West Glocester, Rhode Island 11/24/2022
Overview - External
Sitting on over 1,600 acres in Western Rhode Island, The FM Global Research Campus is one of the world�s most innovative research and testing centers, including the Fire Technology Laboratory, which is the largest facility of its type. The research carried out in the Fire Technology Labs, Remote Test Site, where explosion tests are conducted and FM Approvals laboratories, help FM Global learn more about fire and explosion hazards. Our objective is to use these findings to increase technical knowledge and capabilities needed to provide state-of-the-art loss prevention solutions to FM Global and its customers.
The Research Engineering Internship provides a student with the opportunity to participate in Engineering and research projects throughout the campus! They will be supporting the campus and Approvals laboratories and systems that facilitate building, preparing, and conducting intermediate and large-scale tests. This includes fire, explosion tests, sprinkler, equipment testing, and process automation system maintenance. While working under the supervision of a Research Engineer, this internship offers the student an opportunity to assist with and progress scientific and engineering projects by performing the following duties:
The internship focus will be on Research Capital and Expense projects, assisting the project manager in subcontractor monitoring, change order preparations, construction plan checking, submittal review, document control, quality control, and safety monitoring.
The intern will assist in monitoring automation system performance and system/sub system documentation review and drawing modifications.
Intern will also at times study under the mentorship of Senior Research Scientist at our FM Global Research Office in Norwood Mass on a Sprinkler Event Detection project. This will with their time sheets and reporting under Senior Lead Research Engineer throughout the internship.
- Be enrolled and in a college or university and working towards an associate, bachelor, or master�s degree in science, engineering, or technology!
- It is beneficial if the candidate is skilled with AutoCAD, LabView, Microsoft Office Applications or similar (Word and Excel at a minimum), and adept with computer usage
- The applicant must be willing and comfortable working outside and with their hands in seasonal conditions, as well as inside large fire testing laboratories which may be wet and sooty.
- It is desirable for the applicant to be familiar with hand tools and have some basic mechanical skills
- The student must be a good communicator in a team environment and have a desire to learn new skills
- The student must provide his/her own transportation to and from campus
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce.
Please note that all FM Global visitors, including external candidates interviewing for open positions will be required to be vaccinated and should be prepared to provide proof of vaccination.
BEING FM Global
Inclusion, Diversity & Equity
We’re creating a company-wide culture that recognizes how essential this work is to our overall success.
Learn More about Diversity and Inclusion
FM Global Learning
We’re building technical skills and leadership capabilities across the enterprise, with new solutions for learning.
Learn More about FM Global's Learning Center