Research Campus Lab InternResearch/Approvals, University, Research Job ID 2024-14210 Primary Location: West Glocester, Rhode Island 02/09/2024
Overview - External
Sitting on over 1,600 acres in Western Rhode Island, The FM Global Research Campus is one of the world’s most innovative research and testing centers, including the Fire Technology Laboratory, which is the largest facility of its type. The research carried out in the Fire Technology Labs and the Remote Test Site, where explosion tests are conducted, help FM Global learn more about fire and explosion hazards. Our objective is to use these findings to increase technical knowledge and capabilities needed to provide loss prevention solutions to FM Global and its customers.
The Research Lab Internship provides a student with the opportunity to participate in building, preparing, and conducting intermediate and large-scale fire and explosion tests. While working under the supervision of Lab Managers, this internship offers the student an opportunity to assist with and progress scientific and engineering projects by performing the following duties:
- Assisting in:
- Design and assembly of various fire and large-scale explosion test apparatuses
- Conductance of fire and explosion tests
- Setup, checkout and use of various instruments or equipment used in fire and explosion testing
- Acquisition of test data and the documentation of test conditions
- Maintenance and upgrade of lab equipment and infrastructure
- Current enrollment in a college or university and working towards a bachelor or master’s degree in science, engineering, or technology
- Skills with AutoCAD, LabView, Microsoft Office Applications or similar (Word and Excel at a minimum) preferred
- Must be willing and comfortable working outside and with their hands in seasonal conditions, as well as inside large fire testing laboratories which may be wet and sooty
- Familiarity with hand tools and have some basic mechanical skills desired
- Good communication and collaboration skills and a desire to learn new skills
- Must be able to provide his/her own transportation to and from campus
The hiring range for this position is $23.00- $27.00 per hour. The final salary offer will vary based on geographic location, individual education, skills, and experience.
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce.
BEING FM Global
Inclusion, Diversity & Equity
We’re creating a company-wide culture that recognizes how essential this work is to our overall success.
Learn More about Diversity and Inclusion
FM Global Learning
We’re building technical skills and leadership capabilities across the enterprise, with new solutions for learning.
Learn More about FM Global's Learning Center