Consultant Engineer - Opportunity for New or Recent University GraduateApply Now Job ID 2018-7989 Date posted 09/13/2018
Overview - External
Please note: This posting is not an indication that there are job openings currently available for this location. By applying to this opportunity, you are expressing interest in a Consultant Engineer job in this location should an opening become available.
Los Angeles Office
Woodland Hills, California
This operations center handles inquiries for opportunities in:
Arizona, southern California, Hawaii, the southern tip of Nevada and New Mexico
At FM Global you have the power to influence outcomes and make a difference in the future - yours, your clients’, and the company’s. When you join our team as a Consultant Engineer, you have the ability to leverage your engineering background to help clients neutralize potential disaster—saving property, businesses and lives.
With the company’s nearly two centuries of knowledge and experience behind you, you’ll work hands on with some of the world’s most influential organizations, helping them understand risk and protect their assets. And you will have the resources to build a rewarding career at FM Global including 18 months of classroom and field based training to start.
If you enjoy variety, put your time-management and organization skills to use handling field visits, office work, and projects for large commercial occupancies and hazards. You will work with minimal supervision and must be capable of working independently.
Initially, assignments will be of limited scope and complexity giving you the opportunity to learn. You will gradually begin assessing risks at larger complex commercial properties by visiting client facilities and performing evaluations that accurately quantify foreseeable physical and human element exposures while working with client on-site risk management.
You will perform “hands-on” site assessments of the physical property including roofs and conduct evaluations which include, but are not limited to, site water supplies, dust hazards, chemical storage, and rack storage arrangements of client products.
Consultant Engineers are charged with ensuring that FM Global Engineering Standards are followed and, as necessary, must communicate the appropriate recommendations and/or engineering solutions to ensure client understanding and agreement for risk improvement so strong communication, listening and interpersonal skills are a must.
You should be willing to operate from a home office and will be expected to travel to clients' facilities daily; overnight travel is expected approximately 30% of the time. You must also be willing to travel to Natural Catastrophe sites as needed.
Successful Consultant Engineer candidates have the following qualifications:
- Minimum of a bachelors degree in engineering and a cumulative GPA greater than or equal to 3.0
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Good analytical, organizational, problem solving, and interpersonal skills
- Efficient time management ability with minimal supervision
- Solid technical aptitude including diverse knowledge of engineering principles
- Valid driver’s license
- Physical ability to climb ladders, lift >25 lbs., balance, and heights
- Proficient in MS Office products
You will be expected to work independently and should be willing to operate from a home office.
Training & Benefits
At FM Global, we strive to build ongoing partnerships with our clients, and key to accomplishing this is developing long-lasting relationships with our employees. For that reason, our benefits programs are designed to be attractive to employees throughout the various stages of their lives—and careers.
We call it TOTAL REWARDS.
Though specific policies and programs may vary by location, they are all designed to provide stability and security for you and your family. Now and in the future.
To support what matters to you, our Total Rewards benefits include:
- Extensive training and professional development
- Inclusive culture that seeks out and respects diversity
- Healthy work/life balance through employee-focused policies, such as healthcare, fitness reimbursement and paid time off
- Company-provided car (for field engineers)
- Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package that includes competitive base pay, an employee incentive plan, retirement benefits and programs
- Corporate citizenship programs and sustainability initiatives, including the Matching Gift and United Way campaign programs. Whether we're protecting the environment or giving back to the community, we are committed to doing business with honesty, integrity and transparency
The best way to learn more about what makes field engineering at FM Global so unique is to engage us in conversation. And visiting us at one of our events gives you the opportunity to ask questions in person and find out firsthand what makes our programs, our philosophy and our business so admired.